Open Water Swimming
Ever get fed up with staring at the lines in the bottom of the pool?Our lake is man made, a maximum depth of 7ft and a sandy bottom with no weeds. Being comparatively shallow to other lakes it also gets very warm with our thermometers reading a top temperature of 28 degrees at the height of summer.
The current main lake water temperature is 11.5c | checked 08/10/20The main swim season usually runs through from mid April to late Sept/early Oct and is temperature (minimum 11 degrees) and light dependent.
Swim Registration Form
Please complete our swim registration form, complete and either send it back to us on our new registration form email address or bring it with you on the day you come. This form will only need to be completed once a year.
When you arrive on site you will need to visit the reception, hand your form in and sign in. We take payment at the reception for open water swimming and contact-less payment is available. The email address to send your forms over to is email@example.com
- Swimmers must complete the O.W.S Registration Form.
- Swimmers must sign in and pay at reception before each swim.
- Swimmers must familiarise themselves with all documentation provided: Swim Rules, Emergency procedure and Lake Zoning Map and any additional information provided.
- Swimmers must sign out after they exit the lake.
- All borrowed or hired equipment must be returned.
- Water Temperature <14c wetsuits are compulsory.
- Water Temperature >15c wetsuits are optional.
- Brightly coloured swim caps are mandatory to aid visibility and rescue launch operations.
Open Swim Times
Tuesday – Friday (not Monday): 9am – 10am (Open on Bank Holiday Mondays)
Saturday and Sunday: 9am – 10.30am
Evenings: Monday and Wednesday: 5pm – 7.30pm
2020 Open Water Swimming Covid Reopening Information:
Membership will not be available this year so it will be a set price of £6.00 per swim. Payment is on reception. Open water swimming is NOT required to be pre-booked. But if you intend to stay on site after swimming session is over then you do need to pre-book admission and any other activities, as we have to restrict day visitor numbers now due to COVID regulations.Wetsuits will NOT be available to hire at present.
If you intend to stay at the park after the open water swimming session has finished then please pre-book an admission ticket – see the link below.
Junior SwimmersAnybody under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult in the water, if you’ve got a tow float just make sure they are wearing one and inform safety cover on arrival.
- Swimmers 17 years or younger should be accompanied on site.
- Swimmers 14 years or younger will have swim access starting at 15c (water temperature).
- Accompanying adults will be responsible for associated minors on site
The CourseAccessing the lake from the slip way you can join the 400m course with fluorescent markers buoys every 100m.
- The minimum temperature for swimming is 11c, below this there will be no swim access.
- There is strictly no entry to the lake before safety precautions are in place, the resuce launch operator will give the all clear when it is safe to enter the lake.
- Swimmers should enter and exit the lake using the designated transition point.
- Other exit points should only be used in the event of an emergency.
- Swim sessions will only operate while the water quality meets the recommended EEC levels for Bathing.
SafetyWe provide safety cover from the powered rescue launch for the duration of the swim sessions. We ask that all swimmers wear brightly coloured swim caps to aid the safety boat crew identifying swimmers while operating. Further most parts of the course are fairly close to the bank, if you can’t already stand up, and there’s plenty of places to perch and catch your breath again.
- Any accidents or incidents must be reported to a member of staff.
- Swimmers should adhere to the course provided.
- Swimmers should refrain from shouting, whistling or waving except for emergencies.
- Where possible swimmers should swim in pairs.
- ALP reserves the right to refuse access to anyone they deem to be unfit to take part.
CoachingAdvice and support for beginner swimmers available. Coached sessions available for all levels of open water swimmers and triathletes. Please contact us for further details.
FacilitesThere are hot showers, changing rooms and a lovely cafe (closes 5pm) and outside seating areas. Wetsuit hire can be arranged (2020 – wetsuits not available and showers and changing facilities under review during current covid regulations). Registration at reception is essential before entering the water please – and don’t forget to sign out afterwards!
2021 Membership: £20.00 per season + £3.00 per swim Non-members: £6.00 per swimWe have general activity wetsuits to hire at £5 and a small selection of wetsuits designed for open water swimming to purchase, please contact reception for current details. Membership benefits include:
- Membership Card
- Reduced swim fee
- 10% discount on water sports
- Dedicated Swim Forum